Some 40 candidates out of 59 sitting the National Qualification in Journalism made the grade as senior reporters and achieved a pass after the November set of exams.
It was the lowest ever number to sit the NQJ (formerly called the NCE) reflecting a contraction in the regional newspaper industry.
In 2005/2006 some 535 reporters took the NCTJ senior journalist qualification.
In 2015/2016 the number taking this test fell to 216.
To pass the NQJ candidates must be successful in all four sections: interview, media law and practice, logbook and news report.
Chief examiner Steve Nelson said: “The low entry probably reflects the shrinking newspaper industry. However, it is expected that the number of candidates will show a small rise for the next sitting in March.
“The November sitting is always that bit more special for those candidates who achieve a pass because it makes for a fantastic early Christmas present.”
Those passing passing the NQJ:
- Philippa Allen-Kinross – Wimbledon Guardian
- Lucy Ball – Buxton Advertiser
- Jordan Bluer – Dover Express
- Enfys Bosworth – Tivyside Advertiser
- Georgina Campbell – Oxford Mail
- Victoria Castle – Kentish Express
- Saul Cooke-Black Stroud – News & Journal
- Dan Cooper – Newbury Weekly News
- Elaine Davies – Lincolnshire Echo
- Grace Earl Weston – Worle & Somerset Mercury
- Isobel Frodsham – Leicester Mercury
- Alistair Grant – Edinburgh Evening News
- Naomi Herring – Oxford Mail
- Amber Hicks – Swindon Advertiser
- Louise Hill – Bracknell News
- Daniel Holland – The Bolton News
- Rachel Howarth – Knutsford Guardian
- Maria Hudd – Eastbourne Gazette
- Charlotte Jones – Lincolnshire Echo
- Simon Leonard – Scunthorpe Evening Telegraph
- Kenneth Lomas – Middlewich Guardian
- Sarah Marshall – Doncaster Free Press
- Connor McLoughlin – Henley Standard
- Kate McMullin – The Bolton News
- Gemma Mitchell – East Anglian Daily Times
- Rebecca Murphy – Eastern Daily Press
- Tara O’Connor – Baylis Media
- Christopher Ord – Newbury Weekly News
- Jemma Page – Nottingham Evening Post
- Alex Peace – Dorset Echo
- Lewis Pennock – Bristol Evening Post
- Matt Reason – East Anglian Daily Times
- Candice Ritchie – Surrey Advertiser
- George Ryan – Eastern Daily Press
- Kit Sandeman – Burton Mail
- Bethany Sharp – Southern Daily Echo
- Gemma Sherlock – Lancaster Guardian
- Hannah Somerville – Oxford Mail
- Daniel Windham – Harrogate Advertiser
- Ashleigh Withall-Prince – Ripley & Heanor News
- Leanne Bagnall – The Sentinel.