15 journalists leave merged Independent titles as compulsory redundancies are avoided

Compulsory redundancies have been avoided as The Independent’s daily and Sunday editions are merged.

Independent on Sunday editor John Mullin was made redundant last month and it was feared that another 25 out of a combined total of 190 journalists could go.

But according to the NUJ some 15 staff have left, and all have done so voluntarily.

Barry Fitzpatrick, NUJ deputy general secretary, said: "This is clearly good news and unlikely to have been possible without the strength and unity of our chapel. We know the process has been unpleasant and nerve wracking for many. We still have serious concerns about the editorial quality and individual identity of the newspaper titles once the 7 day integration takes place. But importantly we have stopped people being forcibly pushed out the door."

Independent and Evening Standard managing editor Doug Will said: "“I am happy to confirm that we are now confident that if those taking voluntary redundancies complete documentation drawn up on the basis of agreements already reached with them, compulsory redundancies will not be necessary to achieve the savings required by the company in the changes to a seven-day operation.

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank you and the chapel officers for all your help in bringing about the changes necessary to allow the continued publication of the Independent titles in a harmonious and professional way."
 

Further redundancies are expected in a phase two of the restructuring which will see further integration between the Independent titles and the Evening Standard.

Comments
No comments to display

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

one × two =

CLOSE
CLOSE